The Reverend Shelby Etheridge Harasty
The Rev. Shelby Etheridge Harasty was ordained and installed as Associate Pastor on September 22, 2013.
Shelby is married to Matt and they live in Kensington. They have a strong and independent daughter, Amelia Joy and a fun-loving dog Roscoe. Shelby and Matt enjoy spending time in their backyard, checking out local farmers markets and trying the diverse cuisine Montgomery County has to offer.
A few of Shelby’s favorite things about serving at Saint Mark:
- Traveling with the youth over the summer.
- The joyful spirit of families and children that is so honored and celebrated here.
- The chaos and laughter that comes from the children’s corner in the sanctuary.
- The beautiful music led by Jeff and the choir.
- Regular celebration of the Lord’s Supper.
- Leading confirmation classes for 9th graders and their mentors.
- Working with a spirited and gifted group of elders and deacons.
- The friendship of colleagues in National Capital Presbytery.
Shelby graduated in 2013 with her Masters of Divinity from Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, VA. where she received the President’s Award, the highest honor bestowed upon a graduate.
She has lived in Richmond and the Asheville area of Western North Carolina. Shelby grew up in Florida and earned a Bachelors of Science in Journalism at the University of Florida.
Shelby & Roy have led workshops at the NEXT Church Conference and Stewardship Kaleidoscope. She has served on the planning team for several conferences at Montreat Conference Center. Shelby serves the presbytery on the COM Coordinating Commission and as co-chair of the board of the Young Adult Volunteer Program in DC.
She is currently an ambassador for More Light Presbyterians, an organization that works for full inclusion of LGBTQ+ people in the life of the church. You can find her sermons and (very) occasional other musings here: https://